Friday, January 30, 2015

How do you make your coffee?












How many of you  have used this kind of coffee pot, or at least remember seeing one like it on the back of the kitchen stove? Maybe your grandmother had one? Or an aunt? My mom had a huge one. I think it held about twelve cups, and the bottom was a bit scorched  (she loved to set the flame on the gas burners high.) Since I'm being totally honest here, it was also a tad greasy from the the cast iron skillet splattering oil as she fried bacon and eggs for our breakfast.

But time marches on and eventually, she changed to a shiny electric percolator for awhile and then onto the fast making Mr. Coffee. Recently, now that her family size decreased, she purchased the ever popular Keurig- single cup coffee maker.

Which is nice, don't get me wrong. I have one and it's great for that afternoon pick-me-up when all you need is a little jolt of caffeine. But have you ever woke to find the electricity off due to a power outage? And nothing will give you that steaming cup of java unless you've got a jar of instant and a gas stove.

Awhile back I came across this at the Goodwill and didn't hesitate to grab it up for the piddly amount of 1.99. Seriously! At home, I replaced my tea kettle in favor of keeping this coffee pot on the stove instead. Makes me feel- I don't know, like Olivia Walton or something, and any minute my family will come tromping downstairs for breakfast.

And I'll be ready.



Instructions:
1/4 cup ground coffee in the basket per four cups of water. Place over medium heat until it begins to perk, watching carefully so it doesn't boil over. Allow to perk for 5- 10 minutes depending on the strength you're after.

The aroma alone will leave you with a sigh of contentment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. You're awesome!